ALL 65 SLOTS HAVE BEEN FILLED FOR THE WINTER 2020 CLASS. WE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING ANY MORE APPLICATIONS THIS YEAR.
YOU MAY SUBMIT APPLICATIONS FOR THE WINTER 2021 CLASS ON OCTOBER 23, 2020.
Application for Brandon Sanderson’s English 318R section 2 class
Because we’re only considering a limited number of applications, we have to have a start date so that everyone has a fair chance. I will NOT be looking at applications that are submitted before OCTOBER 23. If you have already submitted, please resubmit after the start date.
Winter Semester 2020
Thursday evenings from 5:10 p.m. to 7:40 p.m
- Email address:
- Year in school for winter semester (e.g. junior, senior, grad student. If you’re not currently attending BYU, write continuing education student):
- Have you enrolled in and completed Brandon’s 318R workshop class before? (If yes, Brandon prefers that you not apply, so that other students may have the opportunity.)
- Have you previously completed Brandon’s 321R or 490R lecture class or audited his lectures (in person or online) for an entire semester? If so, How many years?
- How many completed novels have you written?
- In 400 words or less, tell why Brandon should choose you to be in this class.
- Copy this application into a Word document and save the file with the name YOUR_NAME_application_2020_318R.docx and attach it to an email with the subject “YOUR NAME English 318R 2020 application” and the body text “Here is my application for English 318R section 2.”
- Writing sample: In a separate document attached to your email, please submit the opening chapter of a novel you have written or started writing. Make sure this showcases multiple aspects of your writing skills. (1500 words minimum, 3000 words maximum.) Do not include more than one chapter unless the first is less than 1500 words. Write your name and email address at the top of the writing sample, and name the document YOUR_NAME_Writing_Sample_2020_318R.docx
- Send the email message to [email protected]
Applications will be accepted between October 23 and October 31 2019. Only the first 65 COMPLETE applications will be considered. Chosen applicants will be notified via email and given a permission-to-add code on or before January 8, 2020. If you are not selected, you may sign up for ENGL 490R section 2, which is the one-hour lecture portion of Brandon Sanderson’s class. Completing the 490R lecture class, in addition to being helpful for your writing, will give you an advantage getting into the 318R class in a future year.